Friday, May 31, 2013

Surprise...mommy has a baby in She's tummy!

This is how CHarlee Kate likes to announce it!! This is also the 3rd post so big news (for us) if this is the first time checking the blog. I am typing out my story. The previous posts give background info.

So...This was the final try and month for fertility. March.. the day came for me to come off birth control, i was hoping for my cycle to start immediately, so that we could start shots and get the process going. For some reason, everytime I started shots, I would get excited (minus going to purchase them). I guess I felt like there was a "chance" once I did that. I did start 2 shots a day for 5 days... the usual. Only this time when I went in for my first ultrasound/bloodwork, everything was MUCH slower in progression. The doctor attributed this to my body being supressed by the birth control. Also... in the middle of this I had a procedure done called HSG. I had this done in Tampa and it was absolutely the most horrible ever. Basically it is putting dye into your tubes and "flushing them out" to make sure they are not blocked. I compare it to putting draino in a sink (little humor), but this one can inflate the tubes a little and hurt!! However, cleaning the pipes out meant an even better chance so I was ready to take it on. This doctor here though was smart and numbed my tubes... much better experience and it all went well. So... I had to go back to lots more nights of shots, which has now pushed all the timing back and the monitoring and everything else will be when Spring Break was over. However, I told my doctor I didn't care. At this point, I wanted what was best for my body. So I went in and gradually we watched those follicles/eggs grow and mature and things were looking good. Everyday I would go back to the fertility pharmacy (which there is just ONE of in Birmingham) and get my shots. Everyday Jeremy would debate, "do I go out of town or stay in town?". Everyday was new news and everyday I was also asking my principal, "can I leave for a few minutes". Constantly something. Then the day finally came with mature eggs and they were really mature, 3 of them! What does that mean... 3 can drop. I received my ovulation shot from my fabulous fertility nurse (who I would visit at nights to GIVE me the shots when Jeremy was out of town), then the next day we decided to do the IUI. We decided the next day for this procedure, rather than the standard 36 hours because more eggs would have time to mature and drop and we didn't need that to happen...bc multiples made me nervous. I did take that day off, we all went to breakfast together, took Charlee Kate to school, then I had the procedure and then sat outside and read magazines all day. The next 2 weeks were long... really long. I knew this was probably close to the "end" of the process for awhile. For lots of reasons, but I just couldn't comprehend IVF which was next on my list and mentally, physically, chemically, I was exhausted from it all. In the middle of it, one of the 3 eggs turned into a cyst and burst, which caused us to go to the ER to have it checked out. I was so scared this had messed up my pregnancy chances, but the doctor assured me again it would be okay. 3 days before I was "expected to start" I began very obvious symptoms of my period starting. I was so upset but never really gave it up mentally. When the day came for me to start I was a nervous wreck but had somehow accepted it was okay if I did. That was a Wednesday... so later that day when I had NOT started, I put in for a sub for the next day. I needed that day off whether I started or not. I woke up Thursday morning at 4:00 am and took a test. It was so faint that it wasn't even there. I called the doctor when they opened told them I was a few hours late and they wanted me in to do a blood test. Again, I took Charlee Kate to breakfast then to school late before heading to the doctor. After the blood work, she said "do you want to wait?" I thought to myself... no. I need to go home and process this. Jeremy had the President from Life Fitness in town so he was so busy... I just needed to figure this out because I was preparing myself for what it "could have been". Trying to be positive but realistic of the possibilities too. In about 30 minutes the nurse called saying "Congratulations Mrs. Wilson, you are positive and pregnant". I froze, I teared up, I just sat there. I wanted that moment to stand still. There were numerous days of negative, negative, negative. This was positive. I just needed this moment. From there it is all history.... that moment was priceless. I told Jeremy it was a long year... in the middle of EVERY BIT of that we were moving, renovating, and trying to carry out normal working days. I learned so much, God used that time to really use me and teach me. I wouldn't take "that part" back for anything because I became a different person through it all; however, I hope those fertility days are over! I don't want to do that again! Now to enjoy every single moment of this pregnancy because if I am "planning" it, it will be my last. 

I still did a home pregnancy test about everyday for a week after my doctor's visit. Jeremy would laugh at me, but I wanted to see NONSTOP positives! About 3 days after my positive bloodwork, I saw my doctor in her yard. Her house is on my running/walking route and she is outside all the time so over the year we did become close and I would stop and talk. I stopped and ask her if she "heard". She got so excited and hugged me. She assured me she would keep me with her for awhile and monitor me each week. This was reassuring. Even though a goal had been achieved, I wasn't ready to leave her or the nurses. They were practically like family. We watched this baby grow from a follicle so small to measure to this point. As the weeks would progress I would see how that baby would grow and it amazed me that I watched this process from day 1! The day finally came when I graduated from the fertility doctor to a NEW OB (because I never had one here in Bham since moving back). That was bittersweet, but it was time. My stomach was very very bloated because of my hyperstimulated ovaries. One would have THOUGHT I was pregnant because of that but as the hormones began to release their job to other organs they gradually got smaller and my stomach was sort of getting back to normal until baby growth kicked in. 

After all of that being said... it is by all means not a pity party. It is something I want to remember I made it through and that God gave me faith to get through. So many people go through this. I was apalled at how full the fertility waiting room was everytime I went. To see all of the same people that were in a "club" with me and struggled. However, I myself read so many blogs and so many others' stories about their fertility process. For some reason, that is comforting to a person going through this. To know that others go through it and others get through. It took me days to type this post and remember the process but one I love to read and realize we made it through! We still have months to go but it's happy times (through all the sickness too!).

We are due in December, definitely before Christmas!! So much excitement! About to end our week in central FL. I have lots to post about with our trip to Tampa and Orlando. 

No comments:

Post a Comment